- 1cupbutter, softened
- 1 1/2cupsgranulated sugar
- 4eggs, separated
- 2tablespoons coarsely gratedorange rind
- 1tablespoonbaking powder
- 1cuporange juice
- 4cupsfresh blueberries
- 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 1/2cuporange juice
- Grease& flour a 10 inch bundt pan or angel food cake pan& set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks, one at a time, followed by orange rind.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form; beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until glossy peaks form and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder& salt into another large bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternately with orange juice, making 3 additions of dry& 2 additions of juice to make a stiff batter.
- Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remainder; fold in 2 cups of the berries.
- Scrape into prepared pan& smooth top.
- Bake in center of preheated 350F oven for 45- 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean; transfer to rack& cool for 20 minutes.
- While cooling make the glaze: bring sugar& juice to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring continuously; boil hard for a minute, then allow to cool.
- Loosen cake from edges of pan, place a rack over the pan& turn the cake out onto the rack; place a sheet of foil beneath the rack, brush the cake with the glaze& allow to cool.
- Transfer the cake to a flat serving plate, fill center with remaining berries& dust lightly with icing sugar.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »