- 1 1/2cupschicken broth
- 1cup of uncookedcouscous
- 2-3tablespoonsolive oil
- 4cupsbroccoli(floweretts and stems)
- 2cups of matchstickedcarrots
- 5 choppedgreen onions
- freshcracked black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt
- 10-12 quarteredcherry tomatoes
- Place bacon on a broiler pan and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven until crispy.
- Watch it closely as toward the end it will cook very quickly.
- (This keeps the bacon from shriveling and the drippings drain into the pan.) Save the drippings!
- Cut broccoli flowerttes from head, peel and dice up stems (and if you have been throwing away the stems all this time, shame on you! They are the best part!).
- Blanch broccoli and matchsticked carrots in boiling water for just a few minutes (you will see the color change) Cool under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Chop broccoli and stems into small bite sized pieces, (about 1/4 inch) A few pulses in a food proccessor does it about right but do not chop it to a pulp.
- In a small saucepan bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- If you wish you can add some olive oil to the water and some herbs to the stock to give some additional flavor.
- add the couscous and remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Layer carrots, onions, crumbled bacon, and chopped broccoli in a bowl.
- Top with hot couscous.
- Drizzle hot bacon drippings over the couscous and toss to mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you need to microwave the salad for a couple of minutes to warm it up before serving.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »