- 1cupall-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoonbaking powder
- 1/3cupnonfat milk, hot
- 1/4cupvegetable shortening
- 1cupdried apples, chopped
- 1/2cupapple cider
- 1/4cup packedbrown sugar
- cooking spray
- 1largeegg white
- 1 1/2teaspoonsturbinado sugaror granulated sugar
- To prepare dough, lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine the milk and shortening in a large bowl, stirring until shortening dissolves.
- Gradually add flour mixture to milk mixture, tossing with a fork just until blended.
- Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Knead into a ball (dough will feel sticky).
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- To prepare filling, combine dried apples, raisins, 1/2 cup 2water and apple cider in a small saucepan.
- Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat over to 450°F Divide dough into 8 equal portions.
- Working with 1 dough portion at a time (cover remaining portions to prevent drying), roll each portion into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp filling onto half of each circle; mosten edges of dough with water.
- Fold dough over filling; press edges together wit ha fork to seal.
- Place pies onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Combine egg white and 1 tbsp water, stirring wit ha whisk; brush over the pies.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 450F for 12 minutes or until golden.
- Place on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »