- 5cups cubed leftovercooked turkey
- 9cupsturkey brothor chicken broth
- 1cupcanola oil
- 1mediumonion, chopped
- 2green peppers, chopped
- 1cup slicedokra
- 1cupcelery, chopped
- 1/2lbshrimp, cleaned,deveined
- 1 (16 ounce)candiced tomatoes
- 1 1/2lbs groundchorizo sausages, shaped into 1 inch meatballs
- 1tablespoonhot sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Make a roux by adding the oil, then flour in a large dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mahogany in color, for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add all of the fresh chopped vegetables and cook for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- In the meantime, you can cook the sausage meatballs in a fry pan (I used my micro’s sensor cook) until just done, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth to the vegetable mixture in the dutch oven and stir well.
- Add in the turkey and the drained meatballs.
- Add in the canned tomatoes.
- Add in the hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat, for 30 minutes, or longer to develop the flavors.
- Fifteen minutes before you plan to serve, add the shrimp, allow less cooking time if they are already cooked.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »