- 2tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil
- 1mediumfennel bulb, trimmed,cored & chopped(about 12 oz.)
- 2tablespoons featheryfennel leaves, chopped(save for garnish)
- 4mediumshallots, finely chopped
- 1smallcarrot, finely chopped(about 2 oz.)
- 28ouncescanned tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2-1cupvegetable broth
- Heat the oil in medium stockpot over medium-low.
- Add fennel, shallots& carrot, cook until very soft but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- This will take about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup broth, bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to blender or food processor in batches (I used an immersion blender right in the pan), and process until smooth.
- Adjust the seasonings, and add more veggie broth if necessary to achieve your desired consistancy.
- Serve hot, garnished with the chopped fennel leaves.
- This soup reheats well.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »