- 1 (500 ml)carton realwhipping cream, about 2 cups
- 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 1/2lemon, zest of (optional)
- Use a large saucepan with very high sides because mixture must boil rapidly for several minutes.
- Pour cream into pan and set over high heat.
- Add sugar stirring until sugar dissolves with a wooden spoon.
- When mixture comes to a boil, start timing and let it boil rapidly 2 to 3 minutes.
- Don’t stir.
- If it rises close to the top, reduce heat to medium-high.
- Then remove from heat.
- While mixture is heating, finely grate peel from 1/2 a lemon (peel is not essential but adds extra zestiness).
- Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from lemons.
- As soon as you remove pan from heat, stir peel and juice into mixture.
- Let mixture sit until it cools down to warm stage.
- Refrigerate right away.
- Cream will thicken as it sits, so you can serve it in about an hour, but keeping it refrigerated at least 3 or 4 hours or overnight makes it even better.
- Serve topped with a mixture of fresh seasonal fruit like raspberries, blueberries or kiwi.
- Eliminate the need for small serving dishes by immediately pouring hot mixture into a single large bowl and refrigerating.
- Then just before serving, spoon chilled thickened dessert into pretty dessert bowls and surround with fresh fruit.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »