- 1 1/2cupscooked ham, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1fennel bulb
- 1largeleek, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce)canchicken broth
- 1/3cupall-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon gratedlemons, rind of
- 1/8teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1/8teaspoonground black pepper
- 8ounces shreddedsharp cheddar cheese
- Trim fennel bulb; finely chop some of the feathery top for garnish.
- Discard the root end, quarter the bulb lengthwise; remove the core; chop (you should have about 1 1/2 cups).
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter; add fennel and leeks and sauté, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes, or until fennel is very tender.
- Combine broth and flour; stir into the onion mixture.
- Add the milk, lemon peel, cinnamon and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Gradually stir in the cheese; reduce heat to low; stir until cheese melts.
- Stir in ham and beer; heat through.
- To serve, ladle chowder into soup bowls.
- Sprinkle with chopped fennel leaves.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »