- 2 1/2quartswater
- 2bay leaves
- 2stalkscelery & leaves, roughly chopped
- 1mediumonion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2teaspoonssalt
- 2mediumpotatoes, cut into cubes
- 3carrots or1/2 lbbaby carrots
- 1cupquick-cooking barley
- 1 (16 ounce)candiced tomatoes
- Saute celery and onions till tender.
- In slow cooker, add water, oxtail, potatoes, carrots, peppercorns, bay leaves, celery, onion, and salt.If using regular barley, add at this time too.
- Cover and simmer for 8- 10 hours, until meat is tender, potatoes and carrots are cooked, and barley is tender.
- When meat is tender, take meat off bones and return to broth.
- Bring broth to boil and add quick-cooking barley and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Note: Beef shanks, neck or other bones with meat remaining on them may be used in place of oxtail.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »