- 1mediumpoblano chile(Pasilla, about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 2cupsyellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2cupsflour
- 1 1/2teaspoonssalt
- 1teaspoonbaking powder
- 1teaspoonbaking soda
- 1/4teaspoonblack pepper
- 1cupwhole milk
- 1/4cupsour cream
- 1tablespoon mincedfresh oregano
- 1/4cupunsalted butter
- Char poblano chile over open flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides, enclose in paper bag for 15 minutes then peel, seed, and finely chop chile.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk cornmeal,flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and black pepper in a large bowl to blend.
- Whisk eggs, milk and sour cream in a medium bowl to blend; Mix in poblano chile and oregano.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and fold in with rubber spatula; DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Melt butter in 10-inch-diameter ovenproof skillet with 2-inch-high sides over medium heat, swirling to coat bottom and sides of skillet (An Iron skillet works great).
- Remove from heat, spread batter evenly in skillet.
- Bake until cornbread is golden brown around edges and tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool bread 15 minutes in skllet.
- (can be made 6 hours ahead, cool completly in skillet; Rewarm in 350 degree oven 15 minutes).
- Cut bread in wedges and serve warm from skillet.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »