- 1/2teaspooncream of tartar
- 2egg whites
- 1/4cup coldwater
- 2teaspoonsvanilla extract
- Combine the sugar, cream of tartar, salt, egg whites, and water in a large mixing bowl or double boiler of at least a 2-quart capacity.
- Set over simmering, not boiling, water over moderate heat.
- Beat with a hand electric mixer at high speed for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the frosting stands in definite peaks when the beater is lifted.
- Remove from the water and continue beating for several minutes, until the frosting has cooled and no longer feels hot to your finger, and stands in soft, smooth, billowy peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- You will have enough to generously fill and frost an 8 or 9 inch two-layer cake or a 9 or 10 inch tube cake.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »