- 1 (4 lb)boneless beef rump roast
- 2cupsred wine vinegar
- 1/2cuponions, finely chopped
- 3/4cupcelery, finely chopped
- 1/4teaspoonground pepper
- 1teaspoonpickling spices
- 2tablespoonsvegetable shortening
- 24 crushedgingersnaps(1 1/2 cups crumbs)
- Trim meat of all but a thin layer of fat; place in a glass bowl.
- Add water, vinegar, sugar, onions, celery, salt, pepper and pickling spices to bowl; stir to mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 3 to 5 days, turning meat each day.
- (The flavor is more intense with each day that passes).
- Remove meat from marinade; reserve marinade; pat meat dry with paper toweling.
- Heat shortening in dutch oven.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Remove fat from pan.
- Pour marinade over meat.
- Roast uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cover; continue roasting 2 1/2- 3 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to platter.
- Strain marinade; remove fat and return marinade to pan.
- Stir in gingersnap crumbs.
- Heat until thickened; strain again.
- Slice meat and serve with gravy.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »