- 2packagesactive dry yeast
- 1/2cupwarm water
- 1 1/2cups lukewarmmilk
- 2tablespoonsbrown sugar
- 3 1/4cupsrye flour
- 2 1/2cupswhole wheat flour
- 1/4cupvital wheat gluten
- 2tablespoonscaraway seeds, toasted
- 2tablespoons meltedbutter
- In a large mixer bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt, molasses, butter, wheat gluten, cooled caraway seeds, and 1 cup of rye flour.
- Mix at low speed until smooth.
- Switch to dough hook and mix in the rest of the rye flour.
- Add the whole wheat flour and allow the mixer to knead for 5-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil the surface of the dough, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise in the same mixing bowl, until doubled.
- Remove plastic wrap and deflate dough by kneading with dough hook for 1 minute.
- Recover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise again, until doubled.
- Again deflate dough, using mixer, and knead with dough hook until once again smooth and elastic, 1-2 minutes.
- Cut dough in half and form each into a smooth, round loaf.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when thumped on the bottom.
- Remove from pan to cooling rack, and immediately brush with melted butter.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »