- 1 (4 lb) short-cutleg of lamb
- 3clovesgarlic, slivered
- 2tablespoonsolive oil
- 1tablespoonlemon juice
- 1/2teaspoondried rosemary
Red Wine Gravy
- 1smallonion, minced
- 1/2cupred wine
- 1cupbeef stock
- 1teaspoontomato paste
- salt and pepper
- Using a sharp knife, remove the thin membrane and most of the fat from the lamb.
- Cut about 25 tiny slits all over the lamb; insert the garlic slivers.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice and rosemary; brush over the lamb.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- On a greased rack in a roasting pan, roast the lamb in a 325 degree F oven for 1-3/4 to 2 hours, 25 to 30 minutes per pound, or until the meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F for rare or 160 degrees F for medium.
- Remove the lamb to a platter; cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 minutes.
- To make the gravy, skim the fat from the pan.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute, stirring to scrape up the brown bits.
- Add the stock and return to the boil; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water; stir into the stock mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Blend in the tomato paste.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Strain if desired.
- Slice the lamb and serve with the gravy.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »