- 1/2cupgreen lentils, washed
- 1cupbasmati rice, uncooked
- 3/4cupvegetable stock
- 2onions, chopped
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 4stalkscelery, chopped
- 1 gratedlemon, zest of
- 1cup peeledtomatoes, diced (optional)
- 4cupsfresh spinach, well washed and cut in 1/2 inch strips
- Place lentils in saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 25 to 40 minutes, until tender but not mushy; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring the rice and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer rice about 20 minutes, covered, until all liquid is absorbed; set aside.
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add onions and simmer until tender and translucent, approx 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, celery, cumin and cinnamon and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the lentils and lemon zest (and tomatoes, if desired); heat through.
- Add the greens; cook and stir until tender.
- Fold the lentil and greens mixture into the rice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Note: You may make this ahead of time and place in a baking pan, cover with foil, and warm in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »