- 3wholeCornish hens(1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds each)
- olive oil, as needed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 1/4-4cups choppedrhubarb
- 1cuptomato base barbecue sauce
- Halve each Cornish game hen lengthwise and twist the wings pieces under.
- Brush with some olive oil inside and out, season well with salt and pepper to taste, then place cut sides down into a large rectangular pan with low sides, such as a jelly roll pan.
- Roast, uncovered,at 375 F (preheated) for 40 minutes.
- While the hens are roasting, mix the rhubarb, barbecue sauce, and water in a small pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring.
- Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until the rhubarb starts to fall apart.
- Remove from heat and mash a bit, leaving some chunky bits.
- Measure out 1 cup of the sauce and place in a gravy boat to serve on the side.
- Using the remaining sauce, brush the hens and roast and other 15-20 minutes longer, basting with sauce every 5 minutes, or until hens are glazed and cooked through (thermometer should read 180 F in the thigh).
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »