- 2cupsdried white beans(navy, pea, or great northern)
- 6cupssalt water(or 3 cups water/3 cups vegetable stock)
- 1/3cupextra virgin olive oil(or less)
- 1/3cupfresh lemon juice
- 4clovesgarlic, pressed
- 1/2teaspoonground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2tablespoonsolive oil, mixed with
- lemon wedges
- warmedpita bread, cut into wedges
- Soak the beans overnight and then drain them.
- Cover with 6 cups of salted water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until tender.
- It can take one to several hours, depending on how fresh the beans are.
- When beans are soft, drain them, reserving the cooking liquid.
- You should have about 5 or 6 cups of beans.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree the beans with the oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- Add a little of the reserved cooking liquied if necessary for a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Add the cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Spread the dip in a shallow dish or serve in individual small bowls.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of capers and a drizzle of the paprika-olive oil.
- Serve with lemon wedges and warm pita bread.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »