- 1 1/2cups siftedflour
- 1/4teaspoonbaking powder
- 1/4teaspoonbaking soda
- 2egg whites
- 1 1/4teaspoonsvanilla
- 1/4cupmargarine(stick style)
- 1tablespoonunsalted butter
- Have all ingredients at room temperature (70F).
- Adjust oven racks to divide oven in thirds; preheat oven to 325°F Spray 5 cup loaf pan, bundt pan or tube pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; sift together and set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg and egg whites; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla; set aside.
- Cut margarine and butter into 1/4″ chunks and place in large bowl of electric mixer; beat at medium speed until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add sugar gradually, beating constantly, until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually dribble in beaten eggs, beating at medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- On low speed, beat in 1/3 of the reserved flour mixture, scraping sides of bowl.
- On medium-high speed, gradually dribble in 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture, scraping sides of bowl.
- On low speed, beat in half of the remaining flour mixture.
- On medium-high speed, beat in the rest of the buttermilk mixture, scraping sides of bowl.
- On low speed, beat in the remaining flour mixture until well combined (batter may look curdled).
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 35-40 minutes for bundt or tube pan, or 65-70 minutes for loaf pan.
- Cool on rack 10-15 minutes; invert pan and unmold onto rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 12 slices.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »