- 2lbspotatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4ounces grated strongcheddar cheese(or similar cheese)
- salt andwhite pepper
- 2-3ounceswhite breadcrumbs, lightly crisped
- meltedbutter, to brush over the top
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked.
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Drain the potatoes well, add the milk and butter and mash until smooth, then stir in the cheese and seasoning.
- Butter a 1 1/2 to 2 pint pie dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, pressing them to the base and sides with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the potato and cheese mixture into the dish and rough up the top with a fork.
- Brush with the melted butter.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with pickled beets or red cabbage and thick slices of crusty brown bread (buttered of course!).
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »