- 1lbcabbage, chopped fine
- 2lbsdried peas
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste(be generous with the garlic powder)
- 1/4cupwhite vinegar(if needed for tartness)
- Potatoes: Cook with little salt, drain and mash.
- Bacon& Onions: Cut bacon very fine and fry; use the fat from the bacon to cook onions till soft (Cooked bacon can be discarded or saved for use in another dish.)
- Sauerkraut: cook with a little water added, then drain and save the juice.
- Cabbage: cook in water with very little salt, when tender, drain and When tender, drain and put through a blender.
- Dried Peas: Cover with water about 2 inches and cook until tender; DO NOT DRAIN, mash or put through the blender.
- Combine potatoes, onions, and sauerkrout in a large pot and blend with a hand (stick) blender until smooth; then add cabbage, peas and sauerkraut water until tart (add vingar as needed)
- Helpful Hint: the cabbage and peas should remain hole since they give the soup texture; it should not be the texture of baby food.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »