- 1loafItalian breador French bread
- 1/2lbdeli roast beef(very rare, sliced wafer thin)
- 1white onion(thinly sliced)
- 1green bell pepper(thinly sliced)
- 1/2lbprovolone cheese(thinly sliced)
- extra-virgin olive oil(for grilling)
- salt and pepper
- marinara sauce or ketchup(optional topping)
- Heat a griddle or a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- When hot, cover with olive oil.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until carmelized, which will take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Then, push the mixture off to one side of the griddle.
- Add the meat to the hot part of the griddle.
- Cook, continuously flipping the meat over and slightly chopping the meat into slightly smaller pieces with a spatula, until the meat is not pink, which should take about 2 minutes.
- Mix the meat and the carmelized onions and bell pepper together.
- Divide into 2 portions, and top both portions with the cheese to melt.
- Cut the bread in half, crosswise, and slice lengthwise to open for the 2 sandwiches.
- Hollow out the soft white bread part from inside and place face down on top of the meat and cheese.
- When the cheese is melted, and with 1 or 2 spatulas, flip the sandwiches over and add topping, such as marinara sauce or ketchup, if desired, and serve immediately.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »