- 1/2mediumonion, chopped fine
- 1/2mediumred bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 2tablespoonsunsalted butter
- 1/2cupcanned solid-pack pumpkin(I would use a little more, but this is the amount the recipe calls for…)
- 1cupchicken broth
- 2tablespoonsheavy cream
- freshly gratednutmeg, to taste
- 1/2lbpenne pasta
- 3tablespoons mincedfresh parsley leaves
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated,as an accompaniment
- In a large skillet cook the onion, bell pepper and garlic in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, water, cream, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, in a kettle of boiling salted water, boil the penne until it is al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and drain penne well.
- Add the penne to the sauce and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring and thinning with reserved water if needed, for 1 to 20 minutes or until pasta is well coated.
- Stir parsley into pasta and serve with parmesan cheese, as desired.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »