- 2 (14 ounce)packagesgingerbread mix
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce)packagevanilla pudding mix
- 1 (30 ounce)canpumpkin pie filling
- 1/2cup packeddark brown sugar
- 1/3teaspoonground cinnamon
- 2pinchesground cardamom
- 1/4cupsherry wine or Southern Comfort(very tasty!)(optional)
- 1 (12 ounce)containerfrozen whipped topping
- 1/2cup crushedgingersnap cookies
- 2-3tablespoons choppedpecans, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven then mix and bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- While gingerbread is baking, cook the vanilla pudding according to the package directions; set aside and let cool.
- When pudding has cooled, stir in the pie filling, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Crumble the cooled gingerbread into pieces (about 1/4 inch, but not too finely).
- (If you have a trifle bowl, wonderful- otherwise you can use another large decorative bowl or a punchbowl to assemble the trifle in).
- Put half of the crumbled gingerbread in the bottom of the bowl, sprinkle with half of the sherry or Southern Comfort (if using), then pour half of the pudding mixture over it, and then half of the whipped topping.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining prepared ingredients as above, then sprinkle the crushed gingersnaps over the top (2 or 3 tablespoons chopped pecans would make a good addition to the topping, as well).
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Notes: you can use spice cake instead of gingerbread for a gentler flavor.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »