For the meat and marinade
- 1lb bonelessbeef stew meat, cubed
- 1lblamb shoulder, boned and cubed
- 1lbpork shoulder, trimmed and cubed
- 750mlriesling wine
- 4carrots, sliced
- 2mediumonions, thinly sliced
- 2bay leaves
- 2tablespoonsdried thyme
For the vegetables
- 4lbsred potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1lbonions, thinly sliced
- 3leeks, trimmed,rinsed and sliced
- salt and pepper
- A day ahead, in a plastic zipper bag or non-reactive covered bowl, marinate the meats with the marinade ingredients overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large casserole dish, scatter about 1/3 of the potatoes, onions and leeks over the bottom the dish.
- Drain meat, reserving marinade and seasoning; place half of this meat over the vegetables in the casserole and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Repeat another layer of vegetables, then the rest of the meat; season again and top meat with the remaining vegetables.
- Pour marinade and seasonings over all.
- Cover casserole tightly and bake until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- When done, spoon off excess fat and serve immediately (and don’t forget to remove the bay leaves!).
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »