- 1 1/2cupsall-purpose flour
- 8tablespoonsunsalted butter, softened and cut into 8 pieces
- 2-3tablespoonsheavy cream
- 1largeegg yolk
- 1/8teaspoonsalt(original recipe simply says “pinch of salt”)
- Position rack in center of oven.
- Preheat to 400 deg F.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl or process the mixture for 10 seconds in a food processor.
- Add butter; mash with back of fork or process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle 2-3 tbsp cream over the top and stir or process till crumbs look damp and hold together when pinched.
- Transfer mixture to prepared 9-inch pie pan or 9.
- 5 or 10-inch two-piece tart pan.
- Pat evenly along bottom and sides with fingertips.
- If making a pie, form crust edge and crimp or flute with fingers.
- Prick bottom/sides with fork.
- Bake till crust is golden brown, 18-22 minutes, prcking bottom once or twice if it bubbles.
- If filling crust with uncooked mixture that requires further cooking, whisk together egg yolk and salt, then brush inside of crust with mixture.
- Return to oven until egg glaze sets, 1-2 minutes.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »