- 1 (7 1/2 ounce)boxcorn muffin mix
- 1 (12 ounce)cancorn kernels, drained or1 cup cookedcorn
- 1/8teaspooncayenne pepper
- oil, for frying
- confectioners’ sugar
- maple syrup
- TO PREPARE THE CORNBREAD:.
- Preheat oven to 400; Spray an 8x4x3″ loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, add the corn muffin mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk, savory (or thyme) and cayenne.
- Mix according to package directions, then gently fold in the corn.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- PAIN PERDUE:.
- Slice the loaf of cornbread into 6 even slices, then cut each slice in half diagonally, so you have 12 triangles.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the milk, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour enough oil into a skillet (or electric skillet) to about 2″; heat to 350.
- Soak the triangles of cornbread in the egg mixture, carefully removing the pieces to the hot oil.
- Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove the pieces from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with maple syrup.
- NOTES: You can substitute your own favorite homemade cornbread recipe for the corn muffin mix (you’ll need a recipe that would normally fit an 8×8″ pan).
- Just omit the corn muffin mix, the 1/4 cup milk and the 1 egg, prepare your own recipe, then add the corn and cayenne as directed, and proceed with the recipe from that point.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »