- 2tablespoonskosher salt
- 1tablespoon mixedpickling spices
- 1clovegarlic (optional)
- 1quart fresh smallpickling cucumbers
- 1-2head of fresh greendill seeds
- filteredwater, at room temperature
- Put the quart jar (s) in a large pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil them for 10 minutes.
- Remove and empty them.
- Put the salt, spices and garlic in the bottom of a sterilized quart jar.
- The amount listed is for one jar.
- Add a little water to dissolve the salt.
- Pack- I say PACK!
- -with cucumbers and a couple heads of dill, as tightly as possible, without breaking the cucumbers.
- Leave a little headroom.
- Fill up with water, leaving 1″ headroom at the top.
- Cap lightly for 24 hours, then tighten and store for 6 weeks in a cool dark place.
- Use sterilized lids and rings to cap.
- (Boil both for 5 minutes.).
- Place on newspaper in case they leak while fermenting.
- Store in a cool dark spot- a basement is ideal.
- I make these every year for fear that my father might disown me if I failed to make him 6 or 8 jars for his Christmas present.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »