- 4mediumtomatoes, sliced(more if desired)
- 8cupssoft breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons gratedparmesan cheese (optional)
- 3cups shreddedmozzarella cheese, divided(more if desired)
- 5-6slicesbacon, cooked and crumbled(more if desired)
- 1/2cupbutteror margarine, melted
- 1/2cup choppedonions
- 1/2cup choppedcelery
- 2eggs, beaten
- 1/2teaspoongarlic salt, to taste
- 1/2teaspoondried oregano, r to taste
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Place a single layer of the sliced tomatoes in the bottom of the prepared greased baking pan (use just half of the tomatoes for the bottom); set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese (if using), 2 cups of the shredded mozza cheese, crumbled bacon, butter, celery, onion, eggs, garlic salt and oregano; mix well to combine.
- Spoon all of the bread crumb mixture over the tomatoes in the baking pan.
- Top with the remaining sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup (or more if desired) mozza cheese.
- Bake uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through– DELICIOUS!
- Note: garlic powder may be used in place of garlic salt, just add 1/2- 1 tsp seasoning salt, or to taste (or regular white salt, I prefer seasoning salt) to the bread crumb mixture if using just garlic powder.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »