- 1 1/4teaspoonssalt
- black pepper
- 2lbsbeef stew meat, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2tablespoonsoil(olive is best)
- 1 (28 ounce)cantomatoes, cut up
- 2cinnamon sticks or1/2 teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1teaspoonground cumin
- 2slicesorange rind(4 inch)
- 1tablespoon mincedgarlic
- 4carrots, cut inot 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch sticks(you may substitute sweet potato for the carrots)
- 2 (15 ounce)canschickpeas, drained
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat the meat with the flour in a large bowl or large plastic bag.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven brown the meat in very hot oil about 10 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir into the pan the undrained tomatoes, water, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, garlic, cumin and sugar.
- Simmer covered about 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots (or sweet potato) and cook covered until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add the chick peas and cook until heated through.
- Serve over couscous.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »