- 3-4lbsbeef brisket
- 2tablespoonsliquid smoke
- 1teaspoongarlic salt or2-3 clovesfresh garlic(I use fresh garlic)
- 2tablespoons choppedonions or2-3 teaspoonsdried onion flakes
- 2teaspoons wholecelery seeds
- 2teaspoonsWorcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2teaspoonssalt
- 2teaspoonsseasoned pepperor lemon-pepper seasoning or1 teaspoonground pepper
- 1/2cupvegetable oil
- 1/4cupred wine vinegar
- 2cupsbarbecue sauce, divided(commercial or homemade)
- Place brisket in glass baking dish, fatty side down, making a note of exact weight before discarding wrapper (that will determine cooking time later).
- Measure all remaining ingredients*except* BBQ sauce into a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well to mix.
- Pour marinade evenly over meat; cover dish with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature while preheating oven to 300 degrees F.
- Bake brisket, covered with foil, for 4 to 5 hours, until extremely tender.
- This is where the weight comes in– a 3-lb.
- brisket should be ready in 4 hours; a 4-lb.
- brisket will probably take the full 5 hours; if you have one that’s somewhere in between, adjust cooking time in 15-minute increments, depending on the exact size.
- Remove brisket from oven and**CAREFULLY** drain off most of the grease that has been produced (safety first here, please– that grease will be scalding hot!).
- Note: Leave about 2 tablespoons in the pan for flavor; discard the remainder.
- Pour 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce evenly over meat (I use Corky’s).
- Recover with foil and return to oven for one additional hour.
- You can either slice this or shred and serve on buns as a sandwich.
- Heat additional BBQ sauce to serve on the side.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »