- 1largefryer chicken
- 3cupschicken stock
- 3cups siftedflour
- 1teaspoonbaking powder
- 1egg, beaten lightly
- ice water, to hold together
- 3hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Boil a large fryer in water to barely cover with a little grated onion, salt and pepper until done.
- Remove meat from bones, discarding skin and gristle.
- Strain stock and use for gravy.
- Gravy: Place stock in pan with milk.
- Thicken with flour which has been thinned with a little cold milk.
- Cook until it is as thick as heavy cream.
- Strain while boiling hot and pour over chopped chicken.
- (I have never had to strain it if you constantly stir it while thickening).
- Pie Crust: Mix all ingredients, adding egg and ice water last.
- Line a 11×14 baking dish with thinly rolled crust, prick well with fork and bake at 450 deg until lightly golden brown.
- Pour into this crust lined dish part of the chicken and gravy mixture, then a layer of sliced egg, then more chicken and gravy and then sliced egg to come even to the top of the pan.
- Roll out top crust extra thick and cut to the size of the dish.
- Put on top of dish and seal edges.
- Cut small holes the size of a nickle on the top crust and use the holes to decorate.
- Brush melted butter over the top.
- Bake at 450 deg for 15 min, then lower temp to 350 and bake until brown and bubbly.
- (her notes exactly: do not be tempted to use a mix for the crust, because the crust makes the pie!).
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »