- 8eggs, separated
- 1lemon, zest of, grated
- 1tablespoonall-purpose flour
- 4lemons, juice of
- 1tablespoonunsalted butter, softened
- 1/8teaspooncream of tartar
- 1 10 inchsweet tart crust, baked and glazed with
- egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar, the lemon zest and the flour until thick and pale yellow.
- Transfer to a double boiler and add the lemon juice.
- Whisk over medium heat until thick and set.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Cover and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt and cream of tartar until they form soft peaks.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and beat until firm peaks form.
- By hand, whisk one third of the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining whites.
- Mound the mixture in the tart shell and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, rotating the pan 180 degrees after 9 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »