- 1 1/2cupsdried large lima beans
- 1tablespoonvegetable oil
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 2mediumonions, thinly sliced
- 3stalkscelery, thinly sliced
- 2largepotatoes or4 smallpotatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1bay leaf, crushed
- 1 1/2-2tablespoonsvegetarian chicken soup mixes or5 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1tablespoonpaprika(I find using half smoked bittersweet paprika and half regular paprika adds depth to the final flavou)
- 4cupshot water
- fresh ground pepper
- Soak the beans overnight, then drain.
- Or, follow package directions for quick soaking.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and saute the garlic, onions and celery until tender.
- Put in slow cooker.
- Add the potaoes, carrots, beans, bayleaf and paprika.
- Dissolve the soup mix in 1 cup of the hot water and add to the vegetables with the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover tightly and cook on low 18-24 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Makes four very generous servings.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »