- 3/4cupsemolina(cream of wheat)
- 4eggs, beaten to blend
- 2teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 1lbkadaifi, thawed if frozen(shredded pastry)
- 3/4cupbutter, melted
- 1cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2cupswater
- 3teaspoonslemon juice
- 1 stripfresh lemon rind
- For custard: combine milk and semolina in a heavy pan; blend in beaten eggs and add salt and sugar; place over medium heat and stir constantly until thickened and bubbling; remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla extract and cover top of custard with plastic wrap (directly on surface of custard) to prevent a skin from forming.
- For pastry: place kadaifi in a large bowl and gently separate strands with fingers.
- Grease 13 x 9 inch glass oven dish with some of the.
- butter; put half the kadaifi in the base, pressing it down somewhat to make it compact; drizzle 1/4 cup butter evenly over it; pour custard filling over kadtaifi, spreading it evenly; top with remaining kadaifi; spread evenly and pat down gently; pour remaining melted butter evenly over top.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes until golden-brown; remove from oven and cool completely.
- For syrup: dissolve sugar in water over medium heat, add lemon rind and cinnamon stick and bring to the boil; add lemon juice and boil over medium heat for 15 minutes, skimming when necessary; do not stir once syrup is boiling; strain hot syrup over cooled pastry; leave until cold and cut into diamond shapes to serve.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »