- 1mediumzucchinior summer squash, halved lengthwise, with seeds removed
- 1cuptomato sauce
- 1tablespoonred wine vinegar
- 1smallonion, chopped
- 1teaspoongarlic, minced
- 1/4cup uncookedbrown rice
- 1tablespoondried parsley
- 1tablespoondried basil
- 1/8teaspoonblack pepper
- 2tablespoonspine nuts, toasted
- fresh parsley (optional)
- fresh basil (optional)
- mozzarella cheese(optional) or soy mozzarella cheese (optional)
- parmesan cheese(optional) or vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- To toast pine nuts, place them in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden or about 5 minutes.
- Place the zucchini halves in the bottom of an oval shaped slow cooker.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the tomato sauce and vinegar.
- In another small bowl, combine the onions, garlic, rice, parsley, basil, pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce-vinegar mixture.
- Fill the zucchini halves with the rice mixture.
- Top with the remaining tomato sauce-vinegar mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the rice is tender, 4 to 6 hours.
- Garnish with the pine nuts, fresh herbs, and cheese.
- Makes 2 main dish servings or 4 side dish servings.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »