- 5dried pasilla peppers
- 5dried ancho chilesor dried New Mexico chiles
- 2cupsboiling water
- 2cupstomato sauce(My recipe # 76752)
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 3/4teaspoonkosher salt
- 1teaspoon crumbledMexican oregano
- 1/2teaspoon wholecumin seeds, grind fresh with oregano
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chiles on a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet.
- Roast 4-5 minutes, NO MORE THEY”LL TURN BITTER!
- Let them cool to touch.
- Cut tops off, split in two with a sharp knife.
- Remove seeds and vains, the soft part that holds the seeds.
- Cover with boiling water, let steep an hour.
- Remove each half to a platter and scrape the pulp with the edge of a spoon. After handling chiles wash your hands with warm water and baking soda to nutralize the chile juice. It’s an acid. You can safely wash your eyes too.
- Combine all ingredients including the water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmer, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stirring occasionly.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »