- 2cups dicedonions
- 2tablespoonsolive oil
- 3clovesgarlic, minced
- 1fresh chili pepper, minced,seeded for a milder hot
- 1tablespoon gratedfresh gingerroot
- 1teaspoonground cumin
- 1teaspoonground coriander
- 1/2teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoonground cardamom
- 1pinch of crumbledsaffron (optional)
- 1cuporange juice
- 5cups cubedeggplants, 1 inch cubes
- 4cups cubedzucchinior yellow squashor pattypan squash
- 1 1/2cups dicedbell peppers
- 3cups dicedfresh tomatoes or1 (28ounce)cantomatoes, undrained
- 1/4cup choppedfresh basil
- In a stew pot, saute the onions in the oil on medium heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chile, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, and saffron and saute for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the orange juice and eggplant, toss to coat with the spices, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the eggplant is barely tender.
- Add the squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, and basil.
- Cover and continue to simmer about 15 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Add a little more orange juice or water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- If you like, add a dollop of plain yogurt to each serving and top with fresh basil and a few toasted almonds or pistachios.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »