- 1packagedry yeast
- 1/4cupwarm water
- 6 1/2-7cupsflour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit to proof some.
- In a large bowl combine the cornmeal and salt.
- Heat the milk (about 115 degrees), butter, and honey in a saucepan and add slowly to the cornmeal, stirring all the time.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and mix well.
- Add yeast mixture stirring well.
- Add the rest of the flour gradually to make a stiff dough.
- Knead 100 times and place in a greased bowl to rise till double–about 1 hour.
- Punch down and rise again till double for about 1/2-3/4 hour.
- Turn onto floured counter and divide into two pieces.
- Form into 2 loaves and put in greased pans.
- Rise again till double.
- Bake 375 degrees for about 40-45 minute.
- If they start getting too brown, cover with aluminum foil.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »