For the Cherry Rhubarb Sauce
- 1-1 1/2cup slicedrhubarb, cut into thin rounds(approximately 1 long stalk)
- 1/2-3/4cupdried cherries
- 3/4cup coldwater
- 1 (3 ounce)boxcherry gelatin or strawberry gelatin(4 serving size)
- 2tablespoonsunsalted butter
- 2-3tablespoonsfresh orange juice
For the Pancakes
- 1cupbuckwheat flour
- 1cupall-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoonsalt(or reduced sodium salt)
- 3teaspoonsbaking powder
- 1 1/2cupsbuttermilk
- 2tablespoonscanola oil
- 1/4cupbeer(or seltzer water)
- Place rhubarb and cherries into a medium saucepan and pour water on top.
- Bring to a boil (this will only take a few minutes),then cover with lid and reduce heat to medium low; let simmer covered for about 10 minutes, or until rhubarb is very soft.
- While sauce is simmering, combine both flours, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl,whisk together eggs, buttermilk, honey and oil.
- Pour egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir gently, just to mix a little.
- Carefully add beer (or seltzer) and stir, mixing gently again- this time making sure all ingredients are moistened, but without overmixing (batter will be lumpy).
- Let sit on counter 10 minutes (use a timer).
- While the batter is resting,check on the sauce.
- Once the rhubarb is soft enough, turn down the heat to lowest setting and stir in dry gelatin mix,orange juice, butter, and honey, mixing until all is blended well and butter has melted, about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and leave in pan on top of the burner while you continue with the pancakes (warm again slightly later if necessary before serving).
- Heat lightly greased griddle over medium heat.
- Ladle out 1/4 cup portions of batter onto the hot pan and cook until the edges start to form up and a few bubbles have started to pop on the surface.
- Flip over using a wide spatula and cook until browned on the bottom- it will only take a few minutes per side.
- Repeat until all batter has been cooked.
- Serve pancakes with some sauce ladled over the top.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »