- 1 1/2ouncesdried red chilies, medium heat,preferably ancho and new mexican(the origianl recipe used 4 to 2 respectively)
- 2-5dried red chilies, of greater heat,to taste(like Chile de arbol or cayenne)
- 1 1/2-2tablespoonscumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2-2tablespoonsgarlic powder
- 1tablespoonground oregano(preferably Mexican)
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Break the stems from all chiles, and remove the seeds.
- Transfer chiles to a baking sheet, and arrange them in a single layer.
- Place pan in heated oven.
- (The chile de árbol or cayenne pods will be toasted first, so remove them after 4-5 minutes).
- Bake the larger pods and additional 4-5 minutes, until they are well dried.
- When cool enough to handle, break them into 2 or 3 pieces each.
- Transfer pieces to a blender, and pulverize briefly, until you have powder.
- Add remaining ingredients, and blend just until combined.
- Store chili powder in a jar with a lid, for up to 3 months.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »