- 1 (18 1/4 ounce)packagedevil’s food cake mix
- 1 1/4cupswater(or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 1/2cupvegetable oil(or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3eggs(or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 6ouncesevaporated milk
- 1/2cupmargarineor butter
- 2/3cupvegetable shortening
- 1 (15 ounce)candark chocolate frosting(or your favorite homemade frosting recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350F (or temperature specified on cake mix box); grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan (for cake) OR a large jelly roll pan (for bars).
- Make cake as directed on the cake mix package using the mix, water, oil, and eggs.
- Bake 30-40 minutes for the cake or as directed on the box, OR 12-15 minutes to make the bars in a jelly roll pan.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the filling ingredients until light and fluffy; this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- (Don’t be alarmed if it looks kind of curdled and scary at first since it takes time for it to pull together!).
- Spread the filling over the cooled cake.
- Warm the frosting in the microwave until it is a pourable consistency (do this slowly by only cooking for 15-20 seconds at a time, and stirring).
- Pour the frosting evenly over the filling.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly cool and firm (overnight is highly recommended).
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »