- 6ouncesRoquefort cheese, crumbled
- 6tablespoonsred wine vinegar
- 1/4cup peeled and slicedshallots
- 3/4cupolive oil
- 4slicessmoked bacon, cut into strips
- 1headromaine lettuce
- 2tablespoonsolive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 crispsweet apple, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4ounces crumbledRoquefort cheese
- To make dressing:.
- Combine the cheese, vinegar and shallots in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Gradually add the olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Makes about 11/2 cups.
- (Keep unused portion refrigerated).
- To make salad:.
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels.
- Preheat grill to very high heat.
- Remove outer leaves from the lettuce and trim off the top 2 to 3 inches and bottom.
- Cut the lettuce in half lengthwise.
- Brush the lettuce with olive oil on all sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the lettuce cut side down on the grill until good grill marks appear, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the lettuce and grill the other side until the romaine is lightly caramelized and warmed through, but still crisp in the center, about 1 minute longer.
- Remove the stems from the letuce and arrange each half on a plate.
- Scatter with bacon, apples and cheese.
- Drizzle about 1/4 cup of the dressing over each plate.
- Serve immediately.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »