- 30mediumgreen tomatoes, chopped(about 6 pounds)
- 15mediumonions, chopped(about 3 pounds)
- 2/3cupcoarse salt
- 3cupswhite vinegar
- 2 1/2cupsgranulated sugar
- 6tablespoons mixedpickling spices, tied in cheesecloth
- In a large bowl, alternate layers of tomatoes and onions, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Let stand for at least 8 hours, better overnight.
- Rinse; drain well.
- Combine vegetables with vinegar, sugar and spice bag.
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir frequently until slightly thickened.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »