For the initial cooking
- 1 1/2lbswinter squashor rutabagas
- 1/2teaspoon gratedfresh ginger
- 1clovegarlic, minced
For the white sauce
- 2cups hotmilk
- pepper, to taste
For the Gratin
- 3tablespoonsfresh breadcrumbs
- 3tablespoons gratedswiss cheese
- For the squash:.
- Cut squash into 3/4 inch dice.
- You should have between 4 and 5 cups.
- Place in a steaming basket with the ginger and garlic.
- Cover and steam over 1 inch of water for 10 minutes or until almost tender.
- Remove the steaming basket and set aside.
- Reduce the cooking water down to 1/4 cup and reserve.
- For the white sauce:.
- Melt the butter in a 2-1/2 quart saucepan.
- Blend in the flour with a wooden spoon to make a paste.
- Stir over medium heat until the butter and flour foam.
- About 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- When the bubbling stops, pour in all but 1/2 cup of the hot milk all at once and whisk to blend.
- Whisk slowly over medium high heat until the sauce comes to a simmer.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Dribble in remaining milk and then reduced cooking liquid, whisking to blend.
- To assemble the gratin:.
- Butter or spray a 6 cup baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Fold the squash into the white sauce and pour into the baking dish.
- Spread the breadcrumbs and cheese over the top.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours.
- The top should be nicely browned and the sauce almost absorbed.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »