- 1/2cupsugar, plus
- 4teaspoonsbaking powder
- 1teaspoonbaking soda
- 1/4teaspoonground nutmeg
- 6tablespoons coldbutter, cut up
- 1granny smith apples, peeled,cored and diced(about 1 cup)
- 4ouncessharp cheddar cheese, cut into very small dice(about 1 cup)
- 1egg white, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, lightly coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmag in a large bowl; add butter; cut in with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With a fork stir in buttermilk, apple, and cheddar cheese pieces just until mixture froms a dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface, Knead 6 or 7 times; divide dough in half and gather each into a ball; pat each portion into a 6 to-inch-circle.
- Using a sharp knife coated with nonstick cooking spray, cut each round into 6-equal-wedges; brush with egg white; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and no longer soft in center; with a serrated knife, cut through earlier wedge markes; remove to rack to cool; Serve warm or at room temperature.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »