- 1 1/2cupsall-purpose flour
- 2teaspoonsground cinnamon
- 1teaspoonground cloves
- 2 1/4teaspoonsginger
- 1teaspoonorange extract (optional)
- 1/2cupbutter, softened
- 1cupwhite sugar
- 1teaspoonbaking soda
- 1/2packetyeast(this can be deleted if so desired)
- 1/4cuphot water, 105 to 115 deg,if using yeast,i found it useful in building the desired density of the gb loaf(whether you use this or not….either way it is a wounderful treat)
- 8ouncescream cheese
- 2 1/2cupsconfectioners’ sugar
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoonorange extract
- 1/4cup of dicedcandied ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve baking soda into applesauce and mix into creamed butter.
- Add flour mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes (I do 45 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out just slightly sticky.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar.
- Frost cake when it is completely cooled.
- Decorate with chopped candied orange peel or candied ginger.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »