- 8largeshallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2tablespoonsunsalted butter
- 1tablespoonvegetable oil
- 8ouncesdried calimyrna figs, stemmed and quartered
- 4inchesfresh gingerroot, peeled,quartered,and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2cupdry sherry
- In a large, nonstick shallow sided saucepan, cook the shallots in the butter and oil over moderately low heat, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very soft.
- Add the figs, ginger, sherry, and water and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until figs are tender and mixture is thick and aromatic.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before serving or storing.
- Will keep in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »