- 1/2lbday-old white bread, cut into 10 slices
- 1cupmilk, warmed
- 1tablespoonvegetable oil
- 1mediumonion, chopped
- 1/4teaspoonwhite pepper
- 1/8teaspoonground nutmeg
- 3tablespoons finely choppedparsley
- Break bread into small pieces; place in a medium bowl; Pour warm milk over bread.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet; Add onion; saute until golden brown.
- Add sauteed onion, and remaining ingredients to bread mixture; blend well; mixture should be stiff; Add bread or milk to adjust consistency.
- Working with floured hands, form smooth paste into a roll about 2 1/2 inches in diameter; Cut roll into 8 pieces; form each piece into a dumpling.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; Add dumplings, one at a time, to boiling water, making sure they are not overcrowded; Do not cover; Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes.
- Dumplings are done when they float.
- Carfully remove dumplings with a slotted spoon; drain well.
- Serve immediately with roast meaat and gravy or sauce and cooked kale; dumplings are excellent with roast goose or duck.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »