- 1lbthick slab bacon, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 1/2cups choppedonions
- 2 1/2-3lbsred cabbage, finely shredded
- 3tart cooking apples, cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4cupred wine vinegar
- 3/4cupdry red wine
- 3tablespoonsbrown sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoonscaraway seeds
- 1teaspoondried thyme
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over low heat for about 15 minutes; add onions and cook another 10 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, apples, raisins, red wine vinegar, wine, brown sugar, caraway seeds, thyme and salt and pepper; combine thoroughly.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about an hour, or until cabbage is nice and tender, adding more liquid if needed, and stirring occasionally.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »