- 1cup stone-groundcornmeal
- 1cupall-purpose flour
- 1tablespoongarlic powder
- 1 1/2cupsbuttermilk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4large unripetomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices,ends removed
- 1/2cupvegetable oil
- 1tablespoonunsalted butter
- hot pepper sauce, for serving
- lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne together.
- Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil.
- When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with hot pepper sauce and lemon.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »