- 1-2lbstewing beef
- 4-6fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3garlic cloves, sliced
- 2mediumonions, quartered
- 3-4stalkscelery, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 4mediumpotatoes, peeled and quartered
- 5-8baby carrots
- 1smallrutabaga, cubed
- 1tablespoonworcestershire sauce
- 1cupred wine
- 1cupbeef stock
- 1tablespoondry mustard(I like Keens)
- 1teaspoondried thyme
- 1bouquet garni(of Marjoram, sage, parsley and bay leaves or your favourite stew seasoning)
- salt and pepper
- Add stew beef to non stick fry pan and brown on all sides over medium high heat; add mushrooms and garlic, continue to brown; about 10 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan, simmer 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile: Add onions, celery, potatoes, carrots and rutabaga to crock pot.
- Add thyme and bouquet garni to crock pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour beef mixture from fry pan over veggies in crock pot and stir to mix.
- Combine in a bowl, stock, Worcestershire sauce and water; add flour and dry mustard and whisk together until well combined.
- Add flour/mustard mixture to crock pot, stir to mix.
- Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours; adjust seasoning and serve hot with crusty rolls to sop up juices.
- Feel free to use any veggies left in the fridge that need to be used up.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »